Sunday, October 3, 2010

The End.




9/29… Last Day of riding
We woke up the following morning in what felt like a land of fairies and gnomes.  We were next to a river with the moss draped trees over our heads. Giant spider webs clung to the trees and leaves and ground around us and giant slugs left their slimy trails on our bags. After cleaning up camp and getting the earliest start of the entire trip, we headed up the road to the Eatery and enjoyed a big breakfast. With 80 miles to Anacortes (the coast) and no climbing my mind raced with how quickly this day would be over.
It was a gorgeous day of riding. Along the way we made time for celebratory cheers. Toby had a large shard of metal pierce his tire… I think it was probably his 700th of the trip, but can’t be quite certain as I wasn’t keeping track. We stopped at the original Cascadian Farms. I picked out a perfect pumpkin for my bike and a few apples, and spoke a little with the current owner of the farm about its history. I also had the chance to “talk with” a hearing impaired man who seemed excited to discuss our mountain climbs, where I was from and tell me places to stop up ahead. I was sad to think that these conversations with strangers may soon become scarcer one I re-enter my little world.
The day seemed to slip away; we pedaled hard and fast, wanting to make the coast before dark. For awhile we were pushing 16 miles per hour and I was attempting to keep up with the boys, filled with adrenaline and anticipation for what it would feel like to finish. Eventually though I couldn’t hold the pace and dropped back on my own, leaving me time to think about how much I had accomplished. The views into Anacortes were amazing. Mountains erupted through the waters that surrounded the land and the lighting of days end gave a special ambiance as we pulled across the bridge onto the island. It was all I could have asked for to bring this day to its end.
Just as the sun was setting we reached Washington Park and dipped our wheels into the Pacific waters (technically the Puget Sound). The three of us celebrated with Champagne and toasted to a magnificent journey, to new strangers and to reaching our goal. We laughed and recalled stories and moments... The faces that had come into our lives, those we had been honored to ride with and those people who took us in and welcomed us to their towns. Through a series of days and miles, sweat and laughter a string of moments had become a memory to treasure. I accepted the end to my journey as the sun fell behind the mountains and echoed onto the water.

the end.



thanks for reading folks... pictures soon to follow!

1 comment:

  1. Very Informative and attractive blog created by the blog owner. I am very thankful for this blog owner for post information’s like that. I would like to come on this blog again and again. Foam Seat Covers supplier

    ReplyDelete